Public relations uses a variety of communications strategies to help your organization succeed. A vital subset of marketing, public relations helps you influence people and the decisions they make. Public opinion, or how the public feels about you, is almost always the deciding factor in whether they elect to use your business or organization. Public relations strategies vary considerably and are largely dependent on whom you want to reach and what you want them to do.
Public relations is a very broad discipline and generally includes:
- Media Relations — writing press releases and pitch letters, identifying media that are important in communicating your message and building relationships that ensure your success.
- Media Training — conducting mock interviews and writing talking points so when someone from the media is interested in what you have to say the end product is a news story that achieves your goals.
- Strategic Planning — creating a communications plan that identifies what public relations opportunities exist for your company and what should be done to ensure maximum benefit.
- Sales Communications — providing support for ongoing sales efforts by creating brochures, product information, literature, presentations, etc.
- Community Relations — building goodwill with target markets through community, philanthropic and special programs that enhance your public image.
- Internal Communications — creating internal public relations initiatives targeted at specific staff and internal constituencies through published materials, special events or electronic communications.
- Creative Services — copywriting, graphic design, development of brand concepts and corporate identity programs, illustration, computer graphics, electronic animation, and multimedia.
- Crisis Management — communications initiatives that are designed to manage internal and external crises that have the potential to negatively impact the future of your business.
- Social Media and Marketing — utilizing social media such as Facebook and Twitter to communicate your key messages by developing an online following, writing content and creating advertising.
- Public Affairs and Issues Management — enhancing your public awareness by distributing information, holding educational programs and taking leadership on key issues that are affecting your community or industry.